Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Those Evil Bicyclists

I'm always amazed at how communities oppose bicycle lanes and bicycling, in general. In fact, I'm about to run an errand in my neighborhood of Seminole Heights and I plan to hop on my cargo errand bicycle and I can tell you that at 4:30 PM I'll easily get to my destination in faster time than if I took the ol' car out of the garage and drove it the huge distance of two miles to my destination.

Anyway, my North Carolina pal Willie Drye sends me this gem about a Hasidic group in Brooklyn opposing bike lanes -- but that some guerrilla bicyclists painted the bike lanes after they removed.


From the New York Post:

The war over Williamsburg has taken yet another turn.

In response to last week's removal of bike lanes in the traditionally Hasidic neighborhood in Brooklyn, a group of local bike riders took it upon themselves to repaint the lane lines running down Bedford Avenue.

The Hasids had asked the city to remove the bike lanes from the neighborhood, claiming the influx of bikers posed a "safety and religious hazard."

In an interesting twist, the group of guerrilla line painters reportedly included members of the Hasidic community who are not opposed to the lanes.

Last year the religious group complained to the community board that many of the young, female cyclists who rode through the neighborhood were "hotties," who "ride in shorts and skirts," both of which are against their dress code.

According to the New York Post, "a source close to Mayor Bloomberg said removing the lanes was an effort to appease the Hasidic community just before last month's election."

2 comments:

Donald said...

Of all the reasons to oppose bicycling, this has to be the most ridiculous. Can I make the argument that car lanes shouldn't exist in Tampa since "gluttonous pigs" wearing "extra extra extra large clothing" are an eyesore? >_>

Brooklyn bike commuter said...

The bikers are not completely guiltless. Hipsters can be all about fashion, and they have embraced one stupid fashion- bicycles without gears or rear brakes. What with momentum and youthful exuberance, people on such bicycles tend to run lights, scare pedestrians, and generally create havoc on the streets of Williamsburg.