Saturday, April 11, 2009

This Week's Visit To South Florida

This week I paid a visit to South Florida to see family and a few friends, too. I was able to bike from Boca Raton to Fort Lauderdale, where I stopped in and saw my old newspaper -- the Sun-Sentinel.

Here's my pal Juan Ortega, who I first met when he was a young buck out of the University of Florida working at Florida Today. He writes about breaking news in the mornings these days at the Sun-Sentinel.


If you recall the famous 100-mile Dunkin' Donuts bicycle ride to celebrate the Rays making the playoffs last season, it was because my friend Toby here at Tilson saw the potential of bicycles and baseball and donuts. Toby does public relations work for Dunkin' and we collobarated on the fun 100-mile ride last September on a Sunday. It began at my house and ended at Tropicana Field and in between I visited 13 Dunkin' Donuts stores along a 100-mile route -- a vow I fulfilled when I promised to visit as many Dunkin' Donut stores as possible along a 100-mile route.

Here's Toby at his Boca Raton office.


One of the cool backdoor bike roads is Old Dixie Highway between Fort Lauderdale and Deerfield Beach. It's a four-laner with a sweet bike lane on the side along the freight railroad tracks.


Along old Dixie Highway is the famed Goodyear blimp hangar. Pompano Beach.


Fort Lauderdale High School has one of my favorite mascots -- the Flying L's.


One of the great high school logos -- The Flying L's.

No comments: