Friday, September 10, 2010

Bicyclist Killed By Minivan Driven By Former Teaching Colleague

Bicyclist Ret. Admiral LeRoy Collins killed in Tampa July 29.


Tampa Bicyclist Joe Dyals killed Sept. 9.


* * *

I was saddened to learn that the bicyclist who was killed yesterday morning while pedaling to his art-teaching job at Chiles Elementary School in New Tampa was struck by a minivan driven by a former teacher colleague of the bicyclist.

Joseph Dyals died when he was bicycling on Bruce B. Downs Blvd. after he was struck by a minivan driven by Mara Colle, a special ed teacher who worked with Dyals at Chiles Elementary.

Both the Times and the Trib had stories on the teachers' connection.

The Times story.

And the Trib story.

Channel 13 interviewed me yesterday to discuss bicycle safety. I met FOX-TV reporter Jeremy Campbel on Fletcher Avenue near the I-75 interchange where a sheriff's office sign displays bicycle safety messages. I worked with the HCSO to get those portable signs up to alert motorists about bicyclists.

I'm glad the Channel 13 report included an image of the sign.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you are extra careful out there. You put in so many miles, the odds are against you. Your bicycle advocacy efforts are so appreciated by many anonymous people. May you always have many guardian angels with you when you ride.

Anonymous said...

this was my art teacher at chiles Elementary....He has been my art teacher since 3rd grade and my heart sank after hearing what happend to the greatest art teacher ever

Anonymous said...

This link has been saved on my homepage for quite some time. I went to Lawton Chiles kindergarten through 5th grade. I was the first kindergarten class at the Elementary School when it first opened. Joe Dyals was my art teacher and I have the fondest memories of his class that I will remember forever.