Friday, February 8, 2008

My Favorite Tampa Intersection

I have no idea when that day will come. But one day, I will leave Tampa and this intersection a few blocks from my house will haunt me -- the ol' Hillsborough-Nebraska intersection that has so many gaps between its concrete sections that it's amazing that I have avoided my front wheel from being swallowed up by the space between the concrete slabs. Its gap-filled surface is embarassing to any legitimate road engineer and quite dangerous to the bicyclist.

Another endearing feature are the endless number of cars that routinely run red lights at this intersection. Tampa Police can cite motorists on every cycle of the turn signal. I was waiting to cross Hillsborough this week and took a photo of this pickup truck racing through the intersection obviously running the red light.

Just a suggestion: Count 1 Mississippi before you cross the intersection when a light turns green.


No comments: