Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tampa Bicyclist Writes Mayor Buckhorn About Batshore Cycling Problems

Bicyclist Pery Schusterman contacted me to show me this letter he wrote to Tampa Mayor Buckhorn. Here is his letter:

Hello Mayor Buckhorn,

I am writing to request more of a police presence on Bayshore Blvd.

On 7/7/12, I was riding my bike in the designated bike lane and was continually "buzzed" by cars, blatantly disobeying the speed limit.

At the point on Bayshore when the bike lane ends, I was honked at, yelled at, had things thrown at me, and one driver even tried to knock me off my bike with their car! In addition VERY FEW motorists observe the "3ft." rule, continuing Bayshore Blvd. to be a dangerous option for cyclists, in spite of your wonderful efforts to change this.

I will also add, I am a conscientious, and aware cyclist, always obey all road rules and never ride offensively.

By having more of a police presence on Bayshore Blvd. hopefully motorists will obey the posted speed limits.

Also, officers who are on traffic control assignment should be educated on the 3ft. rule and be encouraged to enforce it, by citing motorists who do not obey it.

Unfortunately the events of the 7th are not the first time I have encountered behavior like this, but I am frustrated fearing for my safety while exercising my right to use the city's road ways to ride my bike.

Thank you very much for your time and attention, I greatly look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Pery Shusterman

No comments: