Sunday, January 20, 2013

Let's Take A Roller-Coaster Ride In The Boulder City/Henderson/Lake Mead Foothills -- The River Mountains Trail

The River Mountains Trail outside Las Vegas is on the opposite end of the Vegas Valley from my local Summerlin/Red Rock Canyon environs, and a marvelous continuous paved trail loop that's feels like a pure foothills roller-coaster ride.

I started in Boulder City near Bootleg Canyon -- home of Interbike's famed Outdoor Demo -- and I felt at home because I looked at the ride as one among many in my new environs instead of one that I associated with the Interbike event.

The RMT is no secret. Hardly. In fact, last year the New York Times wrote a story about this amazing 35-mile loop outside Vegas.

From Boulder City I followed the undulating trail to the suburban city of Henderson (Nevada's second most-populated city), then the trail curled to Lake Las Vegas. The trail turns into a real roller-coaster as it heads to the Lake Mead rec area before heading uphill back to Boulder City and Bootleg Canyon.

For more info on this trail, click here.

It's time for a photo gallery from my ride today.






























No comments: