Saturday, December 31, 2011

Good-bye 2011 From A Kayak On The Hillsborough River


On the final day of 2011 Bicycle Stories becomes Kayak Stories as a I paddled -- not pedaled -- my vehicle on the Hillsborough River and enjoyed stunning views of the river and homes that I usually see from the road.

My arms became my legs and I churned the serene waters of the Hillsborough River from the Lowry Park boat ramp to the dam on the river next to Rowlett Park -- some 2 1/2 hours of paddling amid a wonderful array of water birds, trees and views.

Let's start paddling!

What a cool bridge! I usually see it from the road on Park Circle in Seminole Heights -- now my vantage point is the Hillsborough River.


Fans of Bicycle Stories may have seen photos of the famed Hanna's Circle section of the Hillsborough River from the shore, but now I'm smack in the middle of this wonderful bend in the river.


There's Faye, saying hey on the river. We'll see Wes, Faye's hubby, on the way back.


I'm heading to the train bridge next to Rowlett Park Drive.


Yes, I made it to the dam.


Below the train bridge.


One of my favorite photos today.


There's the wonderful Wes from the perch of his amazing back yard on Park Circle. Wes is with his granddaughter.


I normally see this bridge while walking on Park Circle, but from the water I get a front=row look at this small bridge.


Woot -- I'm in the middle of Hanna's Swirl.


The water birds are amazing.


This was one of my favorite houses because of the work beneath the main floor.


Trees look so natural from the water.


The old vacant Harbor Club looks sad.


On the way back I saw the tower once more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pictures from a kayak. My wife and I have been avid kayakers for the past 4 years. We have been to over 20 different places with our kayaks that are under 3 hours drive from home. We live 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe.

Wes' Brother Ken

Anonymous said...

wow. you made it all the way to my house!!! You should of stopped in for lunch ( and a break) Hope to see you and B soon :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pictures. I have enjoyed the time I have spent in Tampa. It is a great place. I had a wonderful Wes for a tour guide.
Wes's aunt Barbara
Jabuary 5 '2012

Anonymous said...

The wonderful Wes sent this to me in Montana. Lots of kayaking here, in fact, the "Wild Mile" is a spring event every year with world class kayakers. You go girl!