Wednesday, June 17, 2009

In Geneva, NY at Mile 30 of Today's Century

GENEVA, NY -- After 30 miles of cycling amid the farmland of the Finger Lakes this morning, I made a pitstop at my alma mater -- Hobart College. The library here is filled with computer screens and no newspaper racks. Just mahogany decor, cool swivel chairs and computer screens. Can't even find my old student newspaper in the joint.

This morning I left Auburn at 6 a.m. It was 59 degrees with a stiff breeze out of the south, so I'm wearing a long-sleeved shirt. At 8 am in Geneva, it was up to 68 degrees but still cool with whitecaps on Seneca Lake because of the consistent winds from the southeast.

Feels like rain this week. When you live in an area for several years -- like I did for my college years here in central NY state -- you can literally smell the weather. And it smells like rain for a few days starting tonight.

I'm off to Penn Yan, then turn around at mile 50 and complete the century this afternoon. It's going to be 20 miles of terrific headwinds to Penn Yan -- the stuff that gets you into shape.

No comments: