Friday, March 18, 2016

Annual Lake Okeechobee Pedaling Rite Renewed




New writing job. New house. And saw my beautiful sister on Sunday.

And today I officially hammered home that I'm back in Florida with my one-day, 120-mile cyclefest around Lake Okeechobee.




With slight winds out of the northwest, I pedaled easily around the Big Water, Lake Okeechobee, the second biggest freshwater lake within the US borders.

I started late. But it didn't matter. I saw the familiar scene at the northern end outside the city of Okeechobee.






 Even saw this ripped up pavement for a good 10 miles on State Road 78 on the way to Lakeport.


It's eight hours of fish camps, sugar cane fields and trucks rumbling by with the Big Sugar.



Normally, I would bike on the paved trail atop the earthen berm that surrounds Lake Okeechobee, but the US Army Corps was working on patching up the berm.


And a pedal around Lake O wouldn't be complete without a pitstop at J&S Fish Camp


And who knew Port Mayaca had a polo club? I thought it was two houses and a lock on the lake.

No comments: